Looking back on Economics of Organization

Williamson-like critique:

            This course, economics of organization was the first ever discussion lead course I have taken in economics, and I quite liked it. I enjoyed taking the subjects learned in econ and applying them to the organization. I also really enjoyed expanding the discussion into topics in psychology such as opportunism, goodwill and social identity. I don’t think we have any courses on behavioral economics and this made the course very unique.

            I truly believe that in a discussion based course, attendance is imperative. At the beginning of the course we had bonus points for attending lecture, I liked that a lot. It was a nice reward for being in class. However, even though we got points for merely being present in class, I do not think that this was not incentive enough to make the students really engage in the discussion. Don’t get me wrong, in my opinion, being in class is the least a student can do. We pay a lot for tuition and even though a lot of students care mainly about their grades, you might as well try to learn from the class.

            So back to the question of whether attendance should be mandatory, I don’t think so. Students should be responsible enough to know that attending lecture is how you gain the most knowledge from the course. And while simply being in class might be enough for some courses, I think attending lectures is the minimum effort a student can put. The output from a discussion is heavily affected by the amount of participation and contribution from other students. With that in mind, I do think participation points should be included in the class grading. Whether they would be bonus points, or part of the grading distribution, I really think that would motivate students who put in low effort into working harder… Just like in the Arkerlof model we have high effort students and low effort students and the latter might need additional rewards to contribute to discussions.

            Now addressing a little of the class structure. I really liked the “horse-shoe mode”. It really bothers me when we are all facing forward and the professor asks a question and the class is completely silent… I think if we were facing each other maybe we would be more willing to participate and share ideas. It is easy to ignore and pretend that the question is not being addressed to you when one has a screen between them and the rest of the class.
           
            That is the reason why I think computers and cell phones should be strictly restricted during the discussion mode. I know that a lot of students use computers to take notes and they should be allowed to do so during the lecture parts of the class, but it does not really make sense to me to do so during discussion. Phones and laptops are distracting, and how are you expected to answer a question and contribute when you were not paying attention to the question asked in the first place. Maybe during discussion, one could take notes on a piece of paper if necessary, this is what I do at least.

            Now based on previous classes or even some experience from being part of  RSO’s is evident to me that people are more willing to talk and discuss topics when they know each other. This could be achieved by maybe having the students introduce themselves to the person sitting next to them and coming up with one potential answer or maybe having it be more casual and starting the discussion with a game. One that I like is when you get asked a question and you have to throw a ball to the person you want to pass the question to. Again, I know I am more extroverted than some students, so this might work well with me, but at the same time I think having input from different students, who might not be comfortable enough to just raise their hands and share their ideas would be very beneficial to the discussion.


            I really liked the experiments we did in class. They made us engage with new classmates and also tied in the idea of how asymmetric information works in real life versus just being given the information and finding the equilibrium. Maybe this is a kind of activity that could be reproduced with different topics that we learned, for example having 3 people solve the principle agent model.

Comments

  1. I see you went back to the white font on a black background. As a research project after the semester is over, maybe you can figure out how to change the font color in the comments. I believe it is do-able, but probably requires that you are not under time pressure.

    Unique means one of a kind. Very unique is poor usage, especially when your reader is me. It is sufficient to say unique.

    Of the points you raised, most were also indicated by other students. I don't know about throwing a ball around in the room - if something breaks who will pay for it? - but I gather that getting students to connect with each other would promote discussion. That is the message I heard. I think the first step is to know the names of the other students. That is a solvable problem. Beyond that, we'll have to see.

    An experiment on the principal agent model sounds like an interesting thought and something to research. There is an entire field called experimental economics, and I would expect there to be some research on such experiments with the principal-agent model, but I'm not aware of them now. However, we need a better way to record the data from the experiment, because the last time, at the end of class when I was packing up, I made a mistake and deleted what was recorded. So we need a way that won't happen in the future.

    You are not only extroverted, but very energetic. Sometimes that conflicts with being careful, but it is appreciated because extroverts seem to be comparatively rare in the class. The course shouldn't be designed with a particular personality type in mind, but it is good to have a variety of personalities in the class. Thanks for doing that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make a good point how people are more willing to talk and discuss if they already know each other. I remember the Professor mentioning that in the beginning of the semester in regards to issues in RSOs and how they can greatly benefit if the exec board members all know each other on a personal level. I also wish that most classes made it a point to have everyone in the room know each other because not only is it a great benefit to form study groups, but it's also a great way to network. We're all economics majors and many of us will end up working in the same or similar industries. Why not make it a point to get to know other people in you class, like you said, so that it is more people that we know? We might even recognize the same people later on in future semesters taking other classes together.

    I agree with you that it is vary frustrating when a teacher asks a question and no one answers. Sometimes, in certain classes, I answer questions often, but I feel so weird when I am the only one answering a questions and I don't want to seem like a "question hog". So, I try to let someone else answer, but when no one raises their hand, I feel even more weird sitting in that awkward silence.

    It's funny how you mention that you're extroverted because I notice that with you. But, when I've taken many of those personality tests like the Myers-Briggs assessment, I always switch between introvert and extrovert. I'm not really one or the other, or maybe I'm both. I enjoy the company of people, but I also don't mind being by myself. Social situations both comfort me at times and make me awkward at times. Perhaps I'm an introverted extrovert, or extroverted introvert.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also like that we were able to apply the concepts learned in other Econ classes to this class. For example, topics like transaction cost, transfer pricing, adverse selection and principal agent model. I have never taken game theory, but this class gave me an understanding of game theory, especially the prisoner dilemma approach.

    For me, attendance is vital for my success in a class. I also believe it is my responsibility to attend classes, instead of being at home during lectures. I understand that there are times when we are busy, and it might be impossible to attend classes. Yet, it shouldn't be a norm to skip classes. In one of my Econ class, we had to give a final presentation last week, and half of the students didn't quite deliver to the professor's expectation. This is a result of their lack of attendance. In fact, the presentation was the first time I was seeing many of them. I feel that there are so many important information to learn if one attends classes. If one is lucky enough, the professor might post some information online for students to access. I wonder if that's a good substitute for one getting his or her money worth, in terms of tuition fees.

    Regarding the silence when the professor asks questions, it can indeed become awkward when no one answers. I am guilty of this, and I am working on this as I would need to respond to my supervisor during meeting in the workplace. I must commend you for always responding to the professor's questions. You make the rest of us look better.

    Indeed, this class has been a great learning experience. I hope my last Econ class would be as well.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment